MARIETTA, Ga. — Authorities say a motorcyclist was being treated for severe burns after fire engulfed his bike as he pumped gas at a Chevron station near Atlanta.
Cobb County fire Lt. Dan Dupree said the man left the Harley-Davidson’s engine running Thursday morning as he filled the tank with gas, not noticing that the fuel was overflowing. According to police, the man had the gas pump handle set to auto-fill while he was filling his tank.
“It appears he was standing in the pool of gasoline when it ignited,” police told CBS46 in Atlanta.
CBS46 reports that a man at another pump dragged the motorcyclist away from the flames and attempted to use his clothing to smother the fire on the biker’s body.
Authorities said the motorcyclist was burned over the lower half of his body and was being treated at Grady Memorial Hospital’s burn center in Atlanta.
The rescuer burned his hand and was treated at a Cobb County hospital.